Welcome to Leave it to June! We are so excited you stumbled upon us.
If you are a new visitor, we'd love for you to subscribe and "stay tuned" for some great deals!
Thanks for visiting and we hope you come back soon!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Over ripe bananas? Not just for banana bread!


At one time or another, we all end up with over ripe bananas.  That doesn't happen very often at my house, as ALL of my family LOVE bananas.  But every now and then, they don't get eaten at the perfect yellow color (and my kids get pretty picky about brown spots!)  But wait!  Don't throw them out!

Quite a few years ago, I began throwing the over ripe bananas into the freezer, so that they were there when I needed to make banana bread.  I was not only living the phrase "Waste not, want not" but I was prepared when I felt like making banana bread.  I even have friends that bring me their over ripe bananas to put in my freezer, in the hopes that I will make them some banana bread...hmmmm...sneaky!

But what about the other great ways you can use over ripe bananas?  One of my favorites is smoothies.  Just take an over ripe banana, put it in the blender with a cup of ice, some vanilla yogurt and a little milk.  Blend and you have a yummy smoothie.  If I want a little different flavor, I will add a few frozen strawberries to the mix, and use apple juice instead of the milk.  Talk about a nutritious breakfast!

This is an interesting article that gives ideas for using those bananas."Make Use of Over Ripe Bananas"

How do you use over ripe bananas?  I would love to hear your ideas.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com