Welcome to Leave it to June! We are so excited you stumbled upon us.
If you are a new visitor, we'd love for you to subscribe and "stay tuned" for some great deals!
Thanks for visiting and we hope you come back soon!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Saving Money While Still Enjoying Life

During this transition time in my life, I am becoming more and more a believer of living more simply.  This may sound strange, as I have (for the most part) tried to live life simply.  But there are so many areas that can become complicated without even trying.  It seems to creep in and before you know it, you are spending more money and enjoying life less.

I have spoken with young couples that seem to think that unless they spend a lot of money, life cannot be enjoyable.  There is also the idea that they do not want others their age to know that they cannot afford to spend a lot on entertainment or going out to eat.  So because of needing to portray an image, they go into debt.  The root of this type of behavior is PRIDE!!  I love what Dave Ramsey says "Live like no one else so you can live like no one else."  Behavior I cultivate for the short term will determine how I spend my life in later years.  It really doesn't matter what others think...if I can't afford it, I don't spend it!

Ways that we, as a family, have chosen to live more simply include: no cable TV (we subscribe to NetFlix instead for a low monthly fee), outings to the library instead of the movies, using coupons for almost everything, eating at home instead of eating out, and trips to the museum (which cost nothing).

We, as a family, have learned that we enjoy spending time together and look forward to the times that we enjoy a free concert or a trip to the museum.  My husband and I have also come to realize that the memories we make with our kids (even when they're free) are more precious than spending a lot of money doing something that we may not even remember later.  Trips to the beach or the mountains have made for some great times as well.  My husband now goes to the local park and plays basketball with our sons.  We ride bikes and go for walks.

Don't short change your family time because you need to watch your spending.  Enjoy one another in ways that take only your time, and you will enjoy life in a much more fulfilled and satisfying way.  Enjoy life, enjoy your family, and enjoy staying out of debt!!


Our visit to Duke Gardens (Free except for parking)
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com